TCDP Coordinated Campaign Goal:
The TCDP Coordinated Campaign registers and turns out as many voters as possible in the highest Democratic performing precincts in Travis County. The Democratic candidates on the ballot can focus on persuading swing voters if they have the luxury of knowing the TCDP Coordinated Campaign will focus on turning out their Democratic base.
About the TCDP Coordinated Campaign:
We provide a physical space and infrastructure for nearly every Democrat on the Travis County ballot.
- Volunteers staffed two locations – one in central Austin and one on the eastside – from 9am to 9pm, daily.
- Our staff included a campaign manager, multiple field organizers, two outreach coordinators, and our successful Watson/Carpenter Fellows executed a comprehensive voter registration program and an ambitious field program across the county.
- We launched a comprehensive community outreach effort that included regular block walks, phone banking, email updates and GOTV rallies, including the Parque Zaragoza Rally where 200 more voters voted than on any other early vote day.
- We held on to five State House seats, reelected Judge Susan Steeg in a heavily Republican district, elected Tim Sulak to a county wide judicial seat, won every single State Representative district for Bill White and turned out more African American and Hispanic voters in East Austin than in any recent Gubernatorial year, providing the margin of victory for Congressman Doggett.
- From June 2010 to Election Day, the TCDP Coordinated Campaign knocked on 72,348 doors and called 216,897 voters, making the total number of voters contacted 228,459. And we registered over 5,000 new voters!
The 21 Precinct Project in 2010:
This project focused on 21 precincts in East Austin that had a high Democratic Performance Index (67-93%), registration of African American and Hispanics between 33-76% but had a low turn out rate. Through a combination of phone calls and door knocking, we contacted the 23,452 households in these precincts 33,407 times. When the election results were in, our impact was clear. We increased voter turnout in these precincts from 5,954 to 9,186, a 54% increase. In a midterm year where Democrats lost nations wide, the 21 Precinct Project added needed votes for Democratic candidates and was a key component in our friend, Congressman Lloyd Doggett’s re-election.
Individual donors are the heart and soul of the TCDP. To make a contribution, sign up as a Sustaining Member or a Finance Council member, visit www.traviscountydemocrats.org/donate or call 512-477-7500.