By Chuck Lindell
A Travis County judge temporarily barred Texas election officials from removing thousands of suspected dead people from voting rolls after four living voters complained that they had been improperly identified as “potentially deceased.”
State District Judge Tim Sulak issued the temporary restraining order late Wednesday and directed all sides to find an acceptable hearing date within two weeks to determine if the order should be made permanent.
On Thursday, however, lawyers for Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott told Sulak that they intend to move the case into federal court, where a three-judge panel would determine how the lawsuit proceeds. Barring an order from that panel, Sulak’s restraining order would remain in place, lawyers said.